Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Weekend Recap: Hale Holistic, Mission Hills Nursery, Coronado

Happy Tuesday, Friends! I hope you had an enjoyable weekend and perhaps an extended one on account of the MLK Holiday. Cheers to our social activists who sacrifice for humanitarian justices! 

My amazing weekend started on Friday: typically the day I attend prenatal yoga, I had decided to skip out this week in order to catch up on some chores. Just as I was getting ready to haul a major load of laundry to the mat I received an invitation from my friend Angella to join her for a Vinyasa flow class at a newer yoga studio I had been interested in checking out. Taking it as a sign from the yoga gods, I put laundry on hold, got into my comfy clothes (holy moly, 16 week belly!) and headed down to Hale Holistic kickboxing and yoga studio. This place is pretty neat. Located in the near-downtown neighborhood of East Village, the studio is a second-story loft boasting lots of natural light, toweringly high ceilings, and pale lime-green walls. They grow their own veggies in rooftop raised beds which are then used to make fresh juice which they serve complimentary at the end of each class! It was great to try a new flow and to feel that my practice has truly expanded from when I first started. If you're in the San Diego area, Hale does a $10 special for new students' first week of classes! I highly recommend Sarah Clark. She was a great, strong instructor with poignant guidance. 

Feeling great after yoga, I got some healthy hydrating snacks (OK, OK- so the Twix ice cream bar isn't so healthy or hydrating) and not only was I motivated to do the laundry I had left at home, but I ended up cleaning our entire apartment like the pregnant-nesting-mom-to-be that I am! Felt great. Even better was the lovely date Oscar and I went on later that evening to our becoming-favorite Italian restaurant in Little Italy. We shared pasta, we laughed, we swooned. We ate canoli til the place closed down.



Saturday: we started the day early with coffee and bagels in Hillcrest. Being the independent/local business loving gal that I am, Starbucks has never been on my radar, but strangely I've been finding myself there lately, and unashamedly to say, I haven't been hating it. After breakfast we stopped at Rite-Aid for some Crayola crafting goods and were lucky enough to encounter a %50 off sale in the Home & Garden section. Score! We had to restrain ourselves to the necessities, seriously. Ended up with a beautiful, hanging wicker basket and new trimming shears. Needing flowers to fill our new hanging basket with, we drove down the road to Mission Hills where San Diego's oldest nursery is. It was such a beautiful, blue day and the nursery felt alive with the warmth of sun and plants. Oscar got a lot of neat ideas for planter boxes and I enjoyed talking to the hens wandering around outside their coop. OH! AND! They were having a %60 off sale on all their 2012 seed packets. Score again! We're getting ready to plant a HUGE garden at my parent's house and I was so happy to find this super deal. It was a day of good deals, actually. Later on a trip to Vons for organic dill (pickles!) we found a bountiful pathos on sale for $6.99. So many blessings! 

 

Sunday: was a really mellow, relaxing day. In the morning we got to hear my sister speak at Mosaic SD on community and trees. It was a great message! I'm so proud and lucky to be one of four sisters, all of whom I love and admire dearly for their unique talents and personalities. We spent the afternoon in Coronado picnicking with my parents, younger sister Cori, and sweet little Frenchy who is looking so shabby and in desperate need of a haircut! After lunch we went to Mootime Creamery (please note the size difference in ice cream cones between Oscar and myself. Am I pregnant, or what?!) The rest of the afternoon was dedicated to rest and quality time and some amazing conversation. Oscar and I have big audacious goals for our lives and our family's future. Lots of ideas for HOME IN THE HIVE and how want to spend our time here on Earth. Feeling thankful and overwhelmed for what a gift it is to have life. 


Well, friends, that's all for now! Enjoy your week and stay tuned for some pickling and dehydrating tutorials- coming soon! 











6 comments:

  1. Ashley, you are incredible! Your blog is such a wonderful pleasant read and it is so nice to hear about your family adventures. Your creativity has truly inspired me. We are all sending you love and support. Smooches! XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren! Thank you so much, love. It's so nice to inspire those who inspire me, like you! Can't wait to see your blog get going. Sending mega love and support right back to you and your family. Besos!

      Delete
  2. Ashley, I am sooo diggin' this blog! It is such a treat to hear (read) your positive attitude and constant zest for life. Thank you always for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That type of feedback definitely makes it worth keeping up with. So glad you are enjoying it. Sending love to you and your family!

      Delete
  3. Ashley! I've been curious about Hale Holistic for a while now I'm glad you went there and blogged about it! I went there once on a lunch break for a smoothie but they were closed, so I'll have to check it out again soon. Miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat! That's sooo great. I definitely recommend checking it out. You can't beat the $10 for a week deal! Miss you too!

      Delete

Comment